Beginning ketogenic diet is actually not difficult to do. In addition to easy, this diet is also a non-pharmacology diet, where you do not need to consume certain drugs to support it (especially for those who do keto diet to lose weight).
Diet keto also very many benefits, especially for health. Therefore, for you who undergo this diet, in addition to losing weight, you can also prevent the emergence of some dangerous diseases. So, why hesitate to beginning ketogenic diet?
Beginning Ketogenic Diet – Keto Diet Principles
The keto diet (which stands for ketogenic diet) is a diet that applies high-fat, medium-protein, and low-carbohydrate diets. Automatically, you who usually consume more carbohydrates should drastically reduce it and replace it with more healthy fats. As a result, the body will replace the metabolic process-which usually involves glucose-using fat, called ketosis. Ketosis is the main goal in keto diet.
Ketosis is a metabolic process in which fat is used as the main fuel in generating energy. When the body lacks carbohydrate intake (glucose), fat will be converted into ketone compounds. This ketone will replace glucose as a source of energy for the body. Unlike fatty acids, ketones can pass through the brain’s blood barrier. This allows the ketone to provide energy for the brain in the absence of glucose. To achieve ketosis, carbohydrate intake is limited to less than 50 grams per day (usually less than 20 grams) or about 5% of daily calories. In some types of the modified keto diet, carbohydrate intake can be more than that.
Knowing the Ketogenic Diet Types
There are four types of the keto diet, where three types of keto diet are the latest modifications of the previous type. Its use also depends on the purpose of dieting keto. The four types are:
- Standard Ketogenic Diet (SKD): is a standard diet before any modification. SKD apply fat intake patterns, protein and carbohydrates with a ratio of 75%, 20%, and 5%.
- Cyclical Ketogenic Diet (CKD): a keto diet that applies 5 days of SKD and 2 days of high carbohydrate free.
- Targeted Ketogenic Diet (TKD): is a keto diet that allows you to add carbohydrates to the exercise.
- High protein ketogenic diet: a diet similar to SKD, only protein intake is increased, so the ratio to 60% fat, 35% protein and 5% carbohydrates.
Usually, people use SKD or high protein ketogenic diets. While CKD and TKD are usually used by athletes or bodybuilders. The four are equally aimed at making the body ketosis.
What Happens to The Body During the Beginning of Ketogenic Diet?
In order not to misstep, you need to know how keto diet works in the body. When on a keto diet, your body will:
- Reduce caloric intake. Limiting the intake of carbohydrates means limiting the choice of food. This is tantamount to reducing your calorie intake which is an important point in weight loss.
- Gluconeogenesis: the body will change the supply of fats and proteins into glucose replacement fuels. This process can burn many extra calories every day.
- Appetite suppressant: the amount of fat consumption will make the body feel full longer due to changes in the hunger hormone (leptin and ghrelin).
- Increased insulin sensitivity: during this diet, insulin sensitivity in the body which will then help increase fuel usage.
- Decreasing fat storage of keto diet can reduce the process of changing the sugar to fat.
- Increased fat burning: This diet increases the amount of body fat burned during rest and activity.
That’s the change that occurs in the body during the keto diet. These changes are what help the body to lose weight and prevent or treat certain diseases.
Benefits of Dieting Keto
The keto diet is currently popular because of its ability to lose weight quickly and significantly. In addition to losing weight, this diet also has many health benefits you know! Benefits include:
- Epilepsy: Research shows that keto diet can reduce seizure symptoms in children with epilepsy by as much as 50%. Even this diet was originally intended for the treatment of epilepsy.
- Prediabetes and diabetes: keto diet makes blood sugar levels in the body decreases, so it can reduce and reduce the risk of diabetes.
- Heart disease: This diet can maintain blood pressure and HDL cholesterol levels so that the heart’s performance becomes lighter.
- Cancer: The keto diet is known to slow the development and spread of cancer cells in the body.
- Alzheimer’s disease: keto diet can reduce symptoms and slow the progression of Alzheimer’s disease.
- Parkinson’s disease: This diet can help improve symptoms of Parkinson’s disease.
- Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS): The keto diet helps to reduce insulin levels in the body that may be affected in PCOS.
- Brain injury: An animal study shows that this diet can reduce concussions and help restore after brain injury.
- Acne: The keto diet helps eliminate acne because of decreased insulin levels and decreased sugars or processed foods during the diet.
With a proper keto diet, these benefits can be felt. For that, during keto diet, you should really pay attention to the food intake that you eat every day. You need to know what foods should be consumed and should be limited or avoided.
Beginning Ketogenic Diet with Beginner Tips
For those of you who are interested to go through this diet, pay attention to some important things below in order for you to succeed in keto diet (whatever the goal).
- Limit your carbohydrate intake: Consume enough 50 grams of carbohydrates per day. The less carbohydrates consumed the better.
- Provide fatty foods at home: Buy fat supplies such as oil, avocado, cream, cheese, nuts, meat, eggs, nuts, oils, avocados, and oily fish. This food is the main food every day.
- Eat vegetables: get carbohydrate intake from green vegetables. Green vegetables are rich in fiber and minerals as well as low in carbohydrates.
- Experiment: Taking a keto diet does not mean you cannot eat well. You can make some foods such as pasta, bread, muffins, brownies, puddings, ice cream, which are processed according to keto diet rules, so it is safe to eat.
- Replace minerals: ketosis alters the fluid balance in the body. For that, you should be sufficient salt intake to maintain electrolytes or magnesium in the body.
- Eat supplements: To improve the ketosis process, you can help by taking ketone salt supplements, MCT oil or coconut oil on a regular basis.
- Be consistent: You may find many temptations during this diet. But do not be tempted! You must be consistent in order to get maximum results.
- Monitor ketone levels: We recommend that you check your urine or blood ketone regularly. It tells you whether the body is in ketosis or not.
What are you waiting for? Beginning ketogenic diet, you can do from now. Make sure you live it regularly and do not break. The temptation is sure to be there, but you have to get through it. During a keto diet, do not forget to exercise routine as well. With keto diet, let’s lose weight and keep your body healthy!
Other articles you might like;
- How Much Weight Can You Lose In 2 Months Reddit
- How Much You Lose In 2 Months On Weight Watchers Collaborative Guide
- How Much Weight Can I Lose In 2 Months On The Keto Diet
- What To Drink To Lose Weight Homemade
- What to Lose Weight at Home