How to start a ketogenic diet? Most people, especially women, will start to panic when they find weight gain and body shape to be disproportionate. Then what to do? Of course, the easiest and cheapest way is to undergo a diet to lose weight. One method of diet that is popular among people today is ketogenic diet or better known as keto diet few people think best ketogenic diet for weight loss.
How to start the ketogenic diet? For those of you who just heard about this diet may be curious, what exactly is keto diet? Relax, below here will be explained about what keto diet is, various keto diet, keto diet stage, keto foods to buy and tips how to start ketogenic diet.
Definition and Kinds of Plan on How to Start A Ketogenic Diet
Keto diet is a low carbohydrate and high-fat diet. Or more clearly, keto diet is one method to lose weight by setting the diet low in carbohydrates, moderate protein, and high fat that is intended to enter the body ketosis conditions. Ketosis is a condition in which the body will convert fat into ketones in the liver. This ketone will be used as fuel to build energy that will be disseminated throughout the body including the brain. Low carbohydrates that enter will reduce blood sugar levels in the body, so in addition to losing weight, this diet is also good for health.
Kinds of keto diet
The keto diet is divided into four kinds that all hold the same principle, low carbohydrate and high fat. Keto diet initially there is only one kind, but after done various research, finally emerge three kinds keto diet which has been developed from original method. The four kinds of keto diet are:
- Standard ketogenic diet (SKD): This is a standard keto diet in general, before developing. This diet requires the consumption of fat as much as 75%, 20% protein, and carbohydrates as much as 5%.
- Cyclical ketogenic diet (CKD): CKD is not as strict as SKD in the rules of carbohydrate consumption. In CKD, allowed to consume high carbohydrate for 1-2 days and the rest remain SKD.
- Targeted ketogenic diet (TKD): almost the same as CKD, in TKD also allowed consuming high carbohydrate. It’s just the consumption of carbohydrates done every physical activity (exercise/exercise), either before or after that the body gets energy from glucose.
- High-protein ketogenic diet: this diet is the same as SKD, it’s just the amount of protein intake more with the proportion of 60% fat, 35% protein and 5% carbohydrate.
In general, people do more SKD than CKD, TKD, or high-protein commonly used by athletes or bodybuilders. The explanation for keto diet here will be focused on SKD, although some things can be applied to three other keto dietary methods. On other article we discuss about best protein for keto diet
How to Start A Ketogenic Diet by Stages
Ketogenic diet made easy, the keto diet has two stages. In the early stages, the average run for 1-2 weeks, wherein this phase of carbohydrate consumption is limited to 20 grams only per day. After passing the initial stage, the next stage is the advanced stage where after the body reach ketosis and blood sugar levels persist, the consumption of carbohydrates can be increased to 50 grams per day.
At this stage, the weight usually begins to drop significantly. This stage can be extended in accordance with the target weight loss. The last stage is the keeping phase. Once the weight reaches the desired and the blood sugar level is stable, all you have to do is keep it afloat.
Tips on starting a good keto diet
There are several things to note when you want to start the keto diet. Some people experience failure during this diet because of ignoring the things below. As a result, weight loss becomes not maximal. For that, keto diet that needs to know is:
- Pay attention to your body’s health before starting the keto diet
Know the condition of the body before deciding to undergo this diet. Consult your doctor or dietitian whether keto diet is the right choice. Find out also information about this diet to get a good understanding of how keto diet performance in losing weight.
- Materials to be prepared
There are three compulsory ingredients to prepare for keto diet, namely virgin coconut oil (VCO), emulator honey (IH), and green tea. VCO is vegetable oil contained in fresh coconut meat or coconut milk that must be consumed at mealtime with rule 4-6 times as much as 1-2 tablespoons. IH is a tool used to trigger sanctification of the immune system and use proteins derived from cow colostrum. The use of this tool is to keep the immune system when the diet with the rule 4-6 times as much as 1/2 teaspoon. While green tea should be consumed unsweetened after eating.
- Enough water needs
During this diet is advised to consume at least 2 liters of water per day. This type of alkaline water is highly recommended for consumption because it can help increase blood pH and suppress inflammation that may occur.
- Note the nutritional ratios
As mentioned earlier, this diet requires consumption of 75% fat, 20% protein, and 5% carbohydrates). This ratio should always be maintained so that the body can reach ketosis. Eating carbohydrates more than 50 grams per day will interfere with ketosis.
- Avoid high carbohydrates and sugar
Rice, noodles, pasta, potatoes, bread contain high carbohydrates that should not be consumed during the keto diet. Avoid also sweet foods such as ice cream, candy, jelly, cake, soft drinks high sugar content. Both types of these foods will thwart keto diet that is undertaken.
- Set a Day to Eat Within a Week
Choose two days a week to limit dietary intake to just 500 kcal per day (equivalent to 1.5 servings of food). Five days the rest back to eat with the usual portion of a menu according to keto diet rules.
- Start the diet with a light step
For beginners to be able to follow keto diet easily, start the diet by reducing eating carbohydrate like rice, pasta, noodles or bread slowly then add fat portion. This is done so that the body does not feel surprised by sudden dietary changes.
- Consumption of vegetables and fruits
Vegetables and fruits are not the main menus in keto diet, but still must be consumed. As much as 5% of the required carbohydrates can be obtained from vegetables and fruits.
It is important for beginners to pay attention to the things above so keto diet can be lived easily and successfully. Understand more deeply about things related to this diet, do not let a rough understanding bring you into a torturous diet and even harm the body. What do you think after knowing how to start a ketogenic diet? Interesting, isn’t it?!
Other articles you might like;
- How Many Calories Lose Weight and Gain Muscle Best Treatment
- How Many Calories A Day to Lose Weight Australia Oil Free Diet
- How Many Calories A Day To Lose Weight Without Exercise
- How Many Calories A Day to Lose Weight Quickly
- How Many Calories A Day To Lose Weight UK Recommendation?
- Understanding Dr. Oz and the Ketogenic Diet for Weight Loss and Health
- Ketogenic diet therapy for epilepsy during pregnancy: A someone periodical