It is natural when you are hesitant to go keto diet because not fully understand about this one diet. Most people are also confused how to start a ketogenic diet for weight loss. No need to go to a nutritionist or buy a book on the keto diet to be able to understand this diet and how to get started. You do not need to spend money on it because here, you’ll find what you need to do with the keto diet. Read through!
Basics On How To Start A Ketogenic Diet For Weight Loss
High intake of fat, medium protein, and low carbohydrate are the main points in keto diet. The purpose of this diet is to make the ketosis body, a state where the body lacks carbohydrates so that the liver produces ketone compounds from the incoming fat to be a source of energy for the body and brain. That way there will be no fat stored in the body because fat is used as fuel. As a result, the body loses fat and loses weight quickly and significantly.
how to start a ketogenic diet for weight loss? The recommended dietary ratios are 75% fat, 25% protein, and 5% carbohydrates. Fat consumed should be healthy fats such as coconut oil, fish oil, butter, olive oil, cheese, avocado, egg yolk, and much more. No need to worry when consuming a lot of fat, because the incoming fat will be burned out in the body. For protein intake can be obtained from animal flesh (including organs), milk and other dairy products, and some other protein foods. Do not consume too much protein because it will inhibit the ketosis phase, but also not to lack because the muscle mass will be reduced. While for carbohydrates can be obtained from vegetables or fruits such as green vegetables and berries. Do not eat high carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, noodles, potatoes or anything else because it makes the body unable to reach ketosis.
In addition to losing weight, keto diet is also beneficial for the health of the body. With a diet, the body will be able to control blood sugar levels, especially in diabetics, make the brain become more focused, reduce symptoms of epilepsy, inhibit the development of cancer cells and reduce the risk of heart disease.
Result On How To Start A Ketogenic Diet For Weight Loss
Many studies have proven that keto diet can indeed lose weight quickly. But the amount of weight loss varies in each person, depending on the condition of the body and how they go about diet keto.
In 2007 a study was conducted to examine the effects of keto diet combined with Crossfit training on body composition and performance. The result, those who follow the keto diet lose weight around 3.45 kilograms (or about 7.6 pounds), body fat loss of about 2.6%, and a decrease in the fat mass of about 2.83 kilograms (or about 6.2 pounds).
Then how long should we go to keto diet until weight loss? Actually, there is no definite rule of how long this diet can be run. But if to lose weight, just do it until the weight down as desired. You can also go on this diet and then with another diet before going back to the keto diet. But if you go on this diet with the goal of treatment or therapy, you should go on this diet longer, of course after you discuss it with a doctor.
Tips For A Successful Keto Diet
Not all people who undergo this diet successfully lose weight. It could be that the body condition is not supportive, or – this should not happen – not following the dietary rules keto as it should. Do not let that happen to you. Consider the tips below for your keto diet to succeed in losing weight.
- Calculate carbohydrate intake: it is important to control the number of carbohydrates that enter the body, even the hidden carbohydrates found in spices, vegetables, and drinks also need to be calculated. Excess calories will inhibit the body enter ketosis phase, this is tantamount to thwart keto diet that you live
- Limit sugar intake: sugar that enters the body will be fixed in the form of glucose, as well as carbohydrates. Sugar that should be limited is the sweetener, fruit and natural sugar in milk. Even if the use of sugar can be avoided. But if you must use a sweetener, use keto sweetener like stevia or the like to be more secure.
- Note the number of calories: Be careful, do not eat food beyond daily caloric needs. You should consume fewer calories than the calories you burn to lose weight.
- Consumption of ‘real food’: Avoid processed foods (such as fast food). Processed foods do contain high fats, but the fat content in them is unhealthy fats / bad fats. This type of fat is not good for the body. We recommend eating healthy foods and nutritional content is still complete.
- Drink plenty of water. Enough daily water needs to avoid constipation and dehydration due to carbohydrate deficiency. Drink at least 8 glasses of water per day.
- Do intermittent fasting: You can undergo keto diet while doing fast diet or intermittent fasting. This will help speed up ketone production in the body and accelerate weight loss.
- Sufficient salt intake: people who undergo keto diet usually lack salt intake. This is certainly not good for the body. Enough sodium, potassium, and magnesium intake by consuming spinach, avocado, bone broth or other foods containing these three substances.
- Consumption of vegetables and fruits: many misinterpret ‘carbohydrate restrictions’ in keto diet. Eating a little carbohydrate does not mean avoiding vegetables and fruits. You still need a 5% carbohydrate intake that can be obtained from both of these foods. Although you should be observant to choose vegetables and fruits that contain low carbohydrates.
- Routine exercise: Take keto diet with the exercise routine at least 3 times a week for 30 minutes. Exercise can help to lose weight faster and reduce body fat instead of muscle mass.
How, after knowing what is keto diet and how to start a ketogenic diet for weight loss, are you still hesitant to start this diet? Consider the benefits you will get because, in addition to losing weight quickly, you can also maintain a healthy body to avoid various diseases.
If necessary, you may consult with a nutritionist to ask for advice on how to do a good keto diet according to your body condition. Make sure also that this diet is right for you. So why still hesitate? Let’s start keto diet and feel the benefits! Good luck.