Ketogenic diet combined with intermittent fasting is a fast and effective way to lose weight. What is intermittent fasting (IF)? Do you want to lose weight fast? The keto diet is the right choice. By undergoing keto diet, the body will use fat as an energy fuel so that no more fat accumulates. Did you know there is a faster way to lose weight during keto diet?
Ketogenic Diet Combined with Intermittent Fasting Acknowledgement
Intermittent fasting (IF) is …Intermittent fasting (IF) or fasting diet is fasting done for some time but still allowed to drink. The purpose of this IF is to regulate you’re eating habits. In contrast to existing dietary methods, the IF does not regulate what foods should be consumed or should be avoided. IF more refers to set meal time, that is when you can start eating food and when to stop (fasting). Generally, IF suggests fasting for 16 hours, but it is not absolute because you can set it yourself. Then what is the benefit of this IF?
Benefits obtained from intermittent fasting (IF)
Undergoing IF it has many good benefits for the health of the body. What benefits will you get from this IF?
- Encourage weight loss
Lose weight is the main benefit that you will gain from IF, so it is perfect for you who want to go on a diet. During the IF phase, the body will run out of glucose supply and end up using fat as an energy fuel. If glucose is stored in the body, eating the body will use it as an energy fuel and the excess of this glucose will be stored as glycogen. Excess glycogen will be stored as fat deposits that will raise your weight.
Research conducted in 2015 proved that by doing IF, the average person will lose weight up to 7% and reduce body fat to 6 kg. IF is chosen by many people because by undergoing IF they do not have to worry about what food to consume and which should be avoided.
- Reduce appetite
The low leptin hormone present in the human body is one of the causes of the emergence of hunger. This hormone is in charge of signaling for the body to stop eating after incoming food intake is sufficient. But this does not mean high leptin hormone will make you not hungry easily. The fact that too much leptin hormone causes the body to become insensitive to the signals given by the hormone leptin that makes you have a big appetite. Research with 80 subjects showed that IF can lower leptin hormone levels and restore the body’s sensitivity to leptin signaling. That way the appetite will decrease and weight down easily.
- Balance blood sugar
Too much carbohydrate or sugar consumption can disrupt the balance of blood sugar levels in the body. When the body receives carbohydrate or sugar intake, the insulin hormone works to deliver it in the form of glucose into the body’s cells as fuel. But if too much glucose, insulin performance will be disrupted so that glucose eventually not handled. This is the forerunner to the emergence of diabetes, in which blood sugar levels become high so that symptoms such as thirst, frequent urination, easily hungry, and easily tired.
By undergoing IF, your body will be able to lower blood sugar to normal and stable limits. This is also evidenced by several studies in diabetics who showed a decrease in blood sugar levels after undergoing a 16-hour fast for 2 weeks. IF can also reduce insulin levels by 53%, which will cause insulin performance to be more efficient.
- Protect the brain
The brain is an organ that is vital to the human body, for it needs to be protected. By running the IF, you will also protect your brain because it can protect memory loss and learning, improve cognitive function, protect against brain ageing, and even slow the growth of Alzheimer’s disease.
- Maintain heart health
Another benefit that can be obtained from IF is to help maintain heart health. IF increases levels of high-density lipoproteins (HDL) cholesterol and lowers high-density lipoproteins (LDL) and triglyceride cholesterol levels, so undergoing IF is very beneficial to heart health.
- Reduce inflammation
Actually, experiencing inflammation is a normal reaction of the immune system to deal with injuries. But if it gets chronic, it does not have a good effect on the body because it will trigger chronic disease. Research shows that by fasting, people can decrease the inflammation they experience in some markers.
Much is not a benefit to be gained from this ketogenic diet combined with intermittent fasting? So, do not hesitate to do it. But what kind of fast is the IF? How to do it?
4 Methods of Ketogenic Diet Combined with Intermittent Fasting
IF has different methods in reducing food consumption. During IF, you are still allowed to drink. You are also allowed to eat in very little or no amount at all. There are four popular IF methods that you can do:
- The 16/8 method, which divides the time into 16 hours for fasting and 8 hours to eat. Suppose you eat at 7 am until 3 pm (diet should follow the rules keto diet), eat from 3 pm to 7 am the next day you have to fast.
- Eat-Stop-Eat, a casting method in which you are not allowed to consume anything (except drinking) for 24 hours alias a full day in a few days each week. For example, you fast from 7 am to 7 am the next day, then break the fast and may eat according to keto diet for 24 hours (until 7 o’clock in the day after tomorrow), then re-fast for 24 hours.
- The 5: 2 Diet, the fasting method by reducing the amount of caloric intake to 25% of daily caloric needs, or about 500-600 calories (equivalent to one large meal). Calories obtained should be from 75% fat, 25% protein, and 5% carbohydrates. This method is done two days each week. In the remaining five days you can eat food normally.
You can choose this method as you wish. But if you want to try the method of eat-stop-eat, you should start with the 16/8 method so it does not feel too difficult and the body is not surprised with food intake that suddenly lost.
Familiarize yourself with intermittent fasting (IF)
You may find it difficult to undergo keto diet, let alone have to be added with IF. But there are tips that will make your body become accustomed to keto diet simultaneously with IF. Some of the tips are:
- Expand drinking water to prevent dehydration.
- Begin fasting time at night so that fasting time is not felt.
- Cultivating the mindset of ‘fasting is the time to rest the body from eating.’
- Routine exercise during the IF.
Some people have conditions that are not possible to undergo this fasting, such as pregnant and lactating mothers, chronic stress, or underweight body condition. Make sure you do not fall into that category in order to live ketogenic diet combined with intermittent fasting safely. With so the benefits will you get the maximum.
Other articles you might like;
- How Many Calories Lose Weight and Gain Muscle Best Treatment
- How Many Calories A Day to Lose Weight Australia Oil Free Diet
- How Many Calories A Day To Lose Weight Without Exercise
- How Many Calories A Day to Lose Weight Quickly
- How Many Calories A Day To Lose Weight UK Recommendation?
- Understanding Dr. Oz and the Ketogenic Diet for Weight Loss and Health
- Ketogenic diet therapy for epilepsy during pregnancy: A someone periodical