Ketogenic Diet for Diabetes Type 1 is also a suggestion that some doctors recommend, the ketogenic diet has been widely discussed about the success of losing weight and reducing the risk of seizures that occur in patients with epilepsy. This Diet methods that use fat as a major energy source is a lot of questions about whether this method can be used on people with diabetes.
As we know diabetes is a condition in which someone has increased blood sugar levels in his body. This is caused by insulin that cannot work properly to spread the glucose produced by the body throughout the body so that the blood of a person has a buildup of sugar. Glucose itself is largely produced by carbohydrate intake in the body which is used as the main source of one’s energy.
As we know in the method of ketogenic diets try to minimize the intake of carbohydrates and sugars to replace glucose with ketones as energy. This basic understanding that makes many people assume about a ketogenic diet that fits with type 1 diabetics. However, whether this diet can help people with type 1 diabetes? In this discussion, we will discuss more ketogenic diet for diabetes type 1. In order for people can carefully choose to use ketogenic diet as a method of treatment.
We also know that ketogenic diet does have the advantages that reap controversial quite deeply. This unique dietary method can help us to cure some of the disease, even cancer and epilepsy. Previously many people who do not believe or even deny this diet method. Some people deny that fat is evil to our health. However, ketogenic diets deny that the presence of fat that continually enters and is offset by the absence of carbohydrates that enter into our body will actually change the body’s metabolism that will use fat for energy sources for our bodies.
Type of Diabetes
Before moving on to a discussion about ketogenic diet for diabetes type 1, there are some things we should know in advance about this diabetes. One of them is the type of diabetes. Diabetes has several types or types based on the chronic level of this disease. Therefore, we must know what type of diabetes is.
- Diabetes type 1, this type of diabetes can be referred to as a type of diabetes that has a dependence on insulin. This type of diabetes can be suffered by anyone at any age. This type of diabetes is caused by a virus that attacks the pancreas, which serves to produce insulin that works to normalize blood sugar levels in the body. However, the pancreas on the body cannot function normally so it cannot produce insulin. This condition of the patient requires additional insulin that is injected in the body to help blood sugar spread throughout the body.
- Diabetes type 2, if on type1 of insulin cannot be produced another case with diabetes type 2, in this diabetes type 2 pancreas can still produce insulin but the amount of glucose in the body is too much so that insulin is not able to spread all the glucose present in body and result is the glucose buildup in our body. This condition may occur in obese people where excessive food intake consumed by a person results in a buildup of glucose. This condition is also often referred to as a condition of insulin resistance which is in this condition the body cannot produce glucose in accordance with the necessary requirements due to too much glucose that accumulates. Although diabetics cannot heal but sugar levels can still be normalized by maintaining food intake and regular exercise.
- Gestational diabetes, this condition of diabetes occurs in pregnant women, in this condition is caused by hormones that are not irregular in pregnant women this condition as well. The high glucose levels in pregnant women can affect the condition of the fetus because the glucose that is passed through the infant placenta will be too much and cause the baby to have a larger size than normal babies. Therefore, consultation with the doctor is needed to maintain the health condition of mother and fetus. The condition of this diabetes will usually heal when giving birth. However, this condition will lead to someone having a high risk of having diabetes type 2.
Here is the type of diabetes that we should know, after this discussion, we will discuss how the link ketogenic diet can heal type1 diabetes. In the discussion, we will know whether ketogenic diet is suitable and can be applied to people with type 1 diabetes. To find out more let us refer to the discussions below.
Ketogenic Diet for Diabetes Type 1
the ketogenic diet that we know is to reduce the intake of carbohydrates in the body. This diet method uses a diet with the rules of 5% carb, 25% protein, and 70% fat. Very little carb intake will certainly reduce the amount of glucose in our body. Although glucose is not only produced by carbohydrates proteins can also produce glucose. However, the amount of glucose in the body is very little so that the body will prefer the existing fat in the body to be burned into a source of energy. With a small number of carbohydrates, of course, insulin does not need to work more to drain glucose throughout the body. This condition is used by people with type 1 diabetes. As we know people with diabetes type 1 have not been able to produce insulin in their bodies so they need insulin injections to stay alive. Insulin should be injected regularly so that the glucose that is in the body flowed in time so that the body can get the energy to move. With the reduction of carbohydrate intake resulting in a lack of glucose in the body, the required insulin will not be too much and the patient can still get energy from the fat consumed. Therefore, using ketogenic diet for diabetes type 1 is allowed. But before you apply this diet you should still consult with your doctor to ensure proper insulin intake during a ketogenic diet.
Other articles you might like;
- Beware of Potassium Ketogenic Diet Deficiency!
- Can You Drink Alcohol on A Ketogenic Diet?
- Foods to Eat on The Ketogenic Diet Recommendation
- Is Red Wine Allowed in Ketogenic Diet Red Wine?
- Ketogenic Diet for Muscle Gain Guide